Paper Pattern - The Manhattan Bag
The Manhattan Bag pattern includes instructions for a gorgeous shoulder bag in 2 sizes (Mamma & Miss), as well as additional instructions for a"Removable Case" for eyeglasses, sunglasses, or other items. Hardware Kit available HERE
The Manhattan is extremely fun to make and very unique, because the front flap actually zips open along it's edge! Why? So you can put cool stuff in it!! I have included instructions for the aforementioned "Removable Case" and this actually sticks into the flap with (optional) velcro and is….. wait for it….. removable!! This case is perfect for your glasses or sunglasses.
The Manhattan Zippered Case, a free supplemental pattern, fits perfectly in the Mamma size front flap or on it's own in the Miss. Instructions to add (optional) velcro so it stays in place in the bag flap are also included. Get this free pattern HERE. More free tutorials for additional matching items will be added at a later date.
Get the Acrylic Templates: M&L Designs are selling templates for BOTH sizes of these bags AND the Zippered Case as well! So if you plan on making multiple versions for gifts or selling, this is the way to go! Go Here
Here's what YOU can make!
- Front Exterior Pocket
- Interior Slip Pocket
- Shoulder strap/Optional Adjustable cross body strap
- Front Flap that zips open, to turn into a pocket of it's own
- Rear exterior zipper pocket
- Large front exterior pocket
- Large interior slip pocket
- Shoulder strap/Optional Adjustable cross body strap
- Front Flap that zips open, to turn into a pocket of it's own.
- Velcro attachments to attach items, such as the Removable Case and Manhattan Zippered Case.
This pattern suits an intermediate sewer.
Finished Sizes - Miss: Width - 9” (23 cm) x Height - 7 1/2” (19 cm) x Depth - 2” (5 cm) - Mamma: Width - 11 1/2” (29 cm) x Height -10 1/2” (27 cm) x Depth - 3 1/2” (9 cm)
The pattern includes full size pattern pieces that include seam allowances, and black and white digital illustrations and diagrams. Pattern instructions are provided in both imperial and metric measurements.
Manhattan “Miss” size - Fabric, Interfacing & Zippers:
- 3/4 yd./0.75 m Exterior fabric (quilting cotton, poplin, twill, light corduroy, home décor cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m Lining fabric (quilting cotton, poplin or similar weight fabric recommended)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m Pellon TP971F Fusible Fleece Thermolam Plus or similar dense needled fusible fleece.
- 3/4 yd./0.75 m 20” wide Interfacing for pocket fabrics (Lightweight fusible interfacing suitable for garments, such as woven Pellon Shapeflex SF101)
- (1) 16” (36.8 cm) zipper* (to be shortened) for Exterior Flap Opening (*nylon zipper, 1” wide, closed end)
- (1) Slim magnetic snap, 5/8” (14 mm)
Manhattan “Mamma” size - Fabric, Interfacing & Zippers:
- 1 yd./1 m Exterior fabric (quilting cotton, poplin, twill, light corduroy, home décor cotton)
- 1 yd./1 m Lining fabric (quilting cotton, poplin or similar weight fabric recommended)
- 3/4 yd./0.75 m Pellon TP971F Fusible Fleece Thermolam Plus or similar dense needled fusible fleece.
- 1 1/4 yd./1.25 m 20” wide Interfacing for pocket fabrics (Lightweight fusible interfacing suitable for garments, such as woven Pellon Shapeflex SF101)
- (1) 9” (23 cm) zipper* (or longer cut down) for Exterior Zipper Pocket (*nylon zipper, 1” wide, closed end)
- (1) 22” (56 cm) zipper* (to be shortened) for Exterior Flap Opening (*nylon zipper, 1” wide, closed end)
- 6” (15 cm) - 3/4” wide (18 mm) Sew-in Hook and Loop tape (Velcro)
- (2) Slim magnetic snaps, 5/8” (14 mm)
Supplies Required for Both Sizes:
- (2) Strap Rings 1” (25 mm) wide for shoulder strap (O-rings, Rectangle Rings, or D-rings)
- Optional: (1) Bag strap slider 1” (25 mm) wide for an adjustable shoulder strap
Bag Lock and Snap Instructions:
Click BLUE links for a written tutorial or Click RED links for a video tutorial
- Magnetic Snaps (see the video here)
- Turn Locks and Flip Locks
- Press Locks (Mama, Papa, and Baby Lock)
- Large Bar Locks
- Tongue Locks (Thumb Catch, Press Lock)
- Half Moon Magnetic Snaps
Bag Label Insertion Instructions:
Miscellaneous Bag Bling Instructions:
- Add Zipper Sliders/Pulls to Zippers-by-the-Yard
- Make a Hanging Tassel
- "Edge Connector" Strap Anchors
- "Edgwena" Strap Anchors
- "Long John" Strap Anchors
- "Diamond" Strap Anchors
- "Top Edges" Strap Anchors
- Bridge Connectors/Bridge Anchors
- Metal Edge Trim
- Attach Zipper Ends/Cord Ends
- Metal Oval Handles
- Strap Ends - Pointed & Rectangular
- Strap Keepers
- Screw Together Grommets
Get more Bag Hardware tutorials & Sewing Tutorials HERE.
SHIPPING DELAYS: There are significant delays in shipping across Canada and to USA/International. Delivery delays are worse to Eastern States of USA, and letters to Ontario. The backlog after Easter in USA is affecting our orders shipped end of March to April 15th.
Service alert on Canada Post:
Mail and Parcels destined to all regions of the U.S.A. continue to be delivered. Changes to USPS operations and delivery processes to protect employees and the public from the spread of COVID-19 may impact delivery times.
USPS® Coronavirus Updates: Expected Delivery Changes
USPS products and packages may require more time to be delivered due to limited transportation availability as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 impacts.
All payments are completed by PAYPAL, a secure payment method, or Credit Card. We do not receive or store any payment information. You can choose to pay in your currency using the currency picker, but if you miss doing that or we don't offer your currency, not a worry, the checkout will be in Canadian dollars and will be converted to your own currency after payment.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations. f you are in European countries, you may need to pay VAT or other taxes that are not included in our prices.
USA has implemented an 25% Import Tax on all metal products from China, which can include our bag making hardware. Please check your import tax. This is a new law and we are not sure if your order will be assessed. (Since US customers have their order total converted to US dollars, which is about 30% less than the Canadian total, the 25% tax is usually inconsequential. Our customers love our products!)
For Bag Supplies & Preprinted Patterns:
- All items will be shipped 1-2 business days after your order is placed. We do not promise same day shipping, although we try to make it happen! Items are shipped Monday through Friday.
- Sometimes delivery can be somewhat faster, or sometimes a little slower, so please allow up to 15 business days for delivery. If your package hasn't arrived within 15 business days, please email me so I can review your order details. Unfortunately, I can't be responsible for the errors or delays of others in delivering your package but I will do what I can to locate the package for you.
- We can NOT be responsible for lost or stolen packages. We cannot track or replace any UNTRACKED packages. Oversize letters in Canada and Small Packet Air - NOT TRACKED (8-10 business days) to USA, are not tracked, traceable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations.
Shipping rates vary from country to country. We use live shipping rates provided by our integration with Canada Post, UPS & DHL. These use the weight of your order and your location, based on the address you provide, to give you shipping rates. The best way to find out what shipping is going to be, is to add the items to your cart, add your address at checkout, and then you will be able see shipping rates before you pay!
For PDF Sewing Patterns: A download link is provided at the top of the "Thank You" page after payment. If you are not able to download because you are at work or on another device, no worries, you will also receive an email with a link back to this page to download your pattern instantly.
For Bag Supplies & Preprinted Patterns:
For PDF Sewing Patterns: Due to the nature of the product, there are no refunds for PDF sewing patterns.
Physical Products: It's important to us that you are happy with your purchase, but if for any reason you are not satisfied with our products simply email me within 5 days of receiving your package. Items must be then returned within 30 days of receipt for full refund (minus the delivery charge). We are a small company and simply cannot pay for shipping for you to return you product if you have decided you don't want it. Please make sure you double check measurements and read product details before purchasing. To qualify for a refund the goods MUST be unused, and in resaleable condition, once inspected by us we’ll refund the amount to paypal within 14 days. Shipping amounts will not be refunded
Downloadable software products
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.
There are certain situations where only partial refunds are granted (if applicable):
Any item not in its original condition, is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error
Any item that is returned more than 30 days after delivery
Refunds (if applicable)
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.
Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again.
Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted.
Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted.
If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us at email@example.com.
Exchanges (if applicable)
We only replace items if they are defective or damaged. If you need to exchange it for the same item, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and send your item to:
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary.
You should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.