Speedwell Sling by Blue Calla Sewing Patterns (Printed Paper Pattern)
The Speedwell Sling bag is the perfect unisex bag. It has one front zippered flap pocket with 2 zippers on each side and closes at the top with your choice of a small thumb lock, turn lock or magnetic snap. When the flap is fully open, the contents will remain inside this front pocket thanks to the gussets on both sides. Inside this front flap pocket are 1 slip pocket and 1 zippered pocket. You may also wish to install one or two grommets (optional) as shown in tester photos in the top band, just above the front flap pocket. These grommets are to allow your ear bud wires when your phone is stored in the front flap pocket.
In the bag's interior are 2 slip pockets. The strap is adjustable and can be installed to carry the bag either over the left or the right shoulder according to personal preference. The bag can also be carried either on your back or your front.
Please note, the interior assembly is completed with a seam binding finish to give the best possible outcome for the bag. This means the lining is not saggy or baggy and the exterior seams are crisp and will have been sewn a total of 3 times for added strength.
1/2 yard fabric (quilt weight cotton, linen blends)
1 yard quilt weight cotton
3 yards Fusible woven interfacing (20” wide)
1/2 yard Peltex sew-in (20” wide)
1/2 yard Fusible fleece (20” wide)
Notions and supplies:
(2) 7” or 8” zippers (#3 or #5) (or (2) 10” of zipper tape)
(1) 20” double pull zipper (must be #5)
(1) 6” zipper (#3)
(1) 1.5” rectangle slide
(1) 1.5” rectangle ring
(1) small thumb lock (max. 1” high)
(1) 18mm magnetic snap
(1) small turn lock (max. 1 3/8” wide)
OPTIONAL: (1) or (2) 12mm or 1/2” diameter grommets
MEASUREMENTS: 8” W x 12” H x 2.5” D
SEWING EXPERIENCE: The construction of this bag requires intermediate sewing skills HOWEVER, please note that it does include a seam binding finish (see description above). This bag will take 5-6 hours to complete the first one but of course, this varies from person to person.
Bag Lock and Snap Instructions:
Click BLUE links for a written tutorial or Click RED links for a video tutorial
- Magnetic Snaps (see the video here)
- Turn Locks and Flip Locks
- Press Locks (Mama, Papa, and Baby Lock)
- Large Bar Locks
- Tongue Locks (Thumb Catch, Press Lock)
- Half Moon Magnetic Snaps
Bag Label Insertion Instructions:
Miscellaneous Bag Bling Instructions:
- Add Zipper Sliders/Pulls to Zippers-by-the-Yard
- Make a Hanging Tassel
- "Edge Connector" Strap Anchors
- "Edgwena" Strap Anchors
- "Long John" Strap Anchors
- "Diamond" Strap Anchors
- "Top Edges" Strap Anchors
- Bridge Connectors/Bridge Anchors
- Metal Edge Trim
- Attach Zipper Ends/Cord Ends
- Metal Oval Handles
- Strap Ends - Pointed & Rectangular
- Strap Keepers
- Screw Together Grommets
Get more Bag Hardware tutorials & Sewing Tutorials HERE.
All payments are completed by PAYPAL, a secure payment method, or Credit Card. We do not receive or store any payment information. The checkout will be in Canadian dollars and will be converted to your own currency after payment.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations. If you are in UK & European countries, you may need to pay VAT or other taxes that are not included in our prices. All sales are "Delivered At Place (DAP)". Tax is paid by the receiver upon import into your country.
USA has implemented an 25% Import Tax on all metal products from China, which can include our bag making hardware. Please check your import tax. This is a new law and applies to orders over $800. (Since US customers have their order total converted to US dollars, which is about 30% less than the Canadian total, the 25% tax is usually inconsequential. Our customers love our products!)
For Bag Supplies & Preprinted Patterns:
- All items will be shipped 1-2 business days after your order is placed. We do not promise same day shipping, although we try to make it happen! Items are shipped Monday through Friday.
- Sometimes delivery can be somewhat faster, or sometimes a little slower, so please allow up to 15 business days for delivery. If your package hasn't arrived within 15 business days, please email me so I can review your order details. Unfortunately, I can't be responsible for the errors or delays of others in delivering your package but I will do what I can to locate the package for you.
- We can NOT be responsible for lost or stolen packages. We cannot track or replace any UNTRACKED packages. Oversize letters in Canada and Small Packet Air - NOT TRACKED (8-10 business days) to USA, are not tracked, traceable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations.
Shipping rates vary from country to country. We use live shipping rates provided by our integration with Canada Post, UPS & DHL. These use the weight of your order and your location, based on the address you provide, to give you shipping rates. The best way to find out what shipping is going to be, is to add the items to your cart, add your address at checkout, and then you will be able see shipping rates before you pay!
For PDF Sewing Patterns: A download link is provided at the top of the "Thank You" page after payment. If you are not able to download because you are at work or on another device, no worries, you will also receive an email with a link back to this page to download your pattern instantly.
For Bag Supplies & Preprinted Patterns:
For PDF Sewing Patterns: Due to the nature of the product, there are no refunds for PDF sewing patterns.
Physical Products: It's important to us that you are happy with your purchase, but if for any reason you are not satisfied with our products simply email me within 5 days of receiving your package. Items must be then returned within 30 days of receipt for full refund (minus the delivery charge). We are a small company and simply cannot pay for shipping for you to return you product if you have decided you don't want it. Please make sure you double check measurements and read product details before purchasing. To qualify for a refund the goods MUST be unused, and in resaleable condition, once inspected by us we’ll refund the amount to paypal within 14 days. Shipping amounts will not be refunded
Downloadable software products
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.
There are certain situations where only partial refunds are granted (if applicable):
Any item not in its original condition, is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error
Any item that is returned more than 30 days after delivery
Refunds (if applicable)
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.
Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again.
Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted.
Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted.
If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Exchanges (if applicable)
We only replace items if they are defective or damaged. If you need to exchange it for the same item, send us an email at email@example.com and send your item to:
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary.
You should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.