PDF - The Castell Day Bag
NOTE: This is the PDF version.
Note: An internal wire frame "Style C" is required to create the unique curved shape in this project.
The Castell Day Bag is a unique bag with a beautiful, curvy shaped top. With wire frames around the opening, it opens wide to make this the perfect bag to haul all of your much needed supplies for the day. This bag functions like a carpet bag, but uses smaller, more affordable wire frames that are found in our shop. You can make the bag without the wire frames, but it will have a square top instead of a curved/domed bag top.
There are 2 gathered pockets inside, perfect for holding personal items. This curvy girl holds a lot of stuff and looks good.
Instructions for an adjustable detachable shoulder strap are included, as well as handbag style straps that sit on the crook of the arm or in your hand. The detachable shoulder strap attaches by clipping on the rings for the handbag straps.
- Width - across center: 12” (31 cm), at base: 17 ” (43 cm)
- Height at center - 10 1/3” (23 cm)
- Depth - 7” (8cm)
This pattern suits an experienced intermediate to advanced bag maker.
The pattern includes colour digital drawings and full size pattern pieces that include seam allowances for pattern pieces that are not simple rectangles. Cutting instructions are provided for you to use a rotary cutter, ruler and mat to cut rectangular pieces. Pattern instructions are in both imperial and metric measurements.
MATERIALS: Yardages are approximate.
Fabric & Interfacing:
- 1 3/4 yd./1.75 m Exterior Fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton, light jean, cork, vinyl)
- 1.5 yd./1.5 m Lining Fabric (quilting cotton or similar weight woven fabric)
- 1.5 yd./1.5 m Fusible Interfacing (20”) - Light-med weight fusible woven - Pellon Shapeflex SF101
- 1 yd./1 m Fusible Fleece - Dense needled fleece such as Pellon Thermolam Plus
- 17” x 30” (43 cm x 76 cm) Foam Stabilizer - By Annie’s Soft & Stabletm, automotive headliner, Bosal in-R-Formtm, or Pellon Flex-foamtm
- Scraps Heavy Interfacing (Stabilizer) - Pellon Peltextm, Stiff Stufftm, Timtextm or Similar
Zippers & Bag Hardware:
- 1 Pair wire frames Style C (Large Curved Frame) from www.emmalinebags.com GET THE WIRE FRAME!
- (1) 24” (61 cm) Zipper for Exterior Top Opening (#4.5 or #5 nylon bag zipper, 1 1/4” wide, non-separating) - You can use a longer zipper or zipper by the yard (if using zipper by the yard, cut at 26”).
- (2) 9” (23 cm) Zippers for Lining Zipper Pockets (#3 nylon all purpose zipper, 1” wide, non-separating) - You can use a longer zipper, or #3 zipper by the yard if preferred.
- (2) 9/16" (14 mm) Slim Magnetic Snaps
- (4) 1” (25 mm) Strap rings [Rectangular Rings or D-rings (D-rings work best if attaching a shoulder strap.)]
- (2) 1” (25 mm) (Optional) Swivel Snap Hooks for Optional Adjustable Shoulder Strap.
- (1) 1” (25 mm) (Optional) Adjustable Strap Slider for Optional Adjustable Shoulder Strap.
Optional additional hardware items:
Rivets, Purse Feet, Bag Label, (4) 1” Strap Keepers, (4) 1” Strap End Caps, (2) Curved Metal Edge Trim for pockets are all suitable additions to this bag, although instructions for insertion are not included.
Notions & Tools:
- General purpose polyester thread to match all fabrics.
- Water-soluble Erasable Marking Pen, or Chalk Pencil
- Rotary Cutting Tool, Cutting Mat, and Large Ruler
- Walking foot (Quilting foot, Even Feed, or Dual Feed attachment) & Zipper Foot.
We Also Recommend