PDF - Svava | AMMA Collection by UJAMAA BAGETTES
Designed by UJAMAA BAGETTES
A hard-working, crossbody or shoulder bag
AMMA is a hard-working, dependable bag that has a unique strap configuration allowing the bag to be worn crossbody long or short, on the shoulder, under the arm, or over the arm.
“AMMA” is Icelandic for “Grandmother” and the AMMA series of bags are named after the ancestors of one of our BAGETTES. Svava was born of Icelandic parents, Benedikt Jonsson and Kristin Baldvinsdottir, in North Dakota, on their way to New Iceland, the interlake area of Manitoba. This large Icelandic community sprung up in the late 1800s and early 1900s and still celebrates its Icelandic heritage with the town of Gimli’s Islendingadagurnin festival every year. We celebrate our great- and grandmothers every day of every year.
SVAVA is written for waxed or coated canvas, cork, or Cordura exterior and is easily adapted for other fabrics. Quilting cotton is suitable for the lining
Emmaline Bags sells BAGETTES patterns online, and all profits from these pattern sales go directly to the Grandmothers Campaign.
++ This is a PDF Pattern.
++ Instructions are in English only.
- SVAVA is written for waxed or coated canvas, cork, or Cordura exterior and is easily adapted for other fabrics. See BEFORE YOU START.
- Quilting cotton is suitable for the lining
- Two outside zippered pockets Attractive front and gusset accent trim
- Front space suitable for highlighting a unique panel or feature
- Gently-curved, gusset construction
- Attractive accent trim on the gusset, which doubles as ring tabs anchors
- Minimal stabilizers due to versatile pocket construction
- Innovative configuration for five different ways to attach the strap for four ways to carry the bag:
- on the shoulder
- under the arm, or
- over the arm
- Suitable for continuous zipper tape
- Easy birthing/turning through an inside pocket
- Secure, recessed zippered closure
- To print, open in the most recently updated ADOBE READER or Adobe Acrobat. (If it is not updated, your pages may print black.)
- To print accurately, open in ADOBE from a computer, and when printing make sure that the “scaling” is set to “none” or “actual size” in the print properties.
- A 1” x 1” test square is provided.
- Print the templates and measure the square to check printing accuracy
- This pattern is suitable for a Confident Beginner.
Approx. Finished Size:
- Finished Size: 10-1/4” x 10-1/4” x 2-1/2” (26 cm x 26 cm x 6.4 cm)
- STRAP DROP: 23”, 20”, 16”, 12”, 6-1/2” (58 cm, 50 cm, 40 cm, 30, cm, 17 cm)
**** You are purchasing a PDF sewing pattern only, not the finished product. You must have the latest version of Adobe Reader to print this item from a computer!
FABRIC & INTERFACING:
- 2/3 yard (0.6 m) waxed or coated canvas, cork, Cordura - 45 to 60” (114 to 150 cm) wide
- Piece 12” x 4” (28 cm x 10 cm) of cork, leather, or vinyl for contrast front detail and gusset trim and ring tabs
- 1 yard or 45” wide (.9 m of 114 cm wide) light-weight waterproof polyester/nylon or quilting cotton
- Fusible Interfacing & Stabilizers
- 2 yards 20” wide (1.8 m of 50 cm wide) mid weight woven fusible such as Pellon 101 or equivalent for cotton lining and pockets
- 1 small piece - 5” x 9” (12.7 cm x 23 cm) - of Pellon 809 Decor Bond for zipper facing
- 1 small piece 6” x 6” (15 cm x 15 cm) Peltex or Decovil light for Exterior GUSSET STABILIZER
- Optional - 2-1/2” x 26” (7 cm x 66 cm) piece of fusible fleece
Zippers, Supplies & Bag Hardware:
- 32” (81 cm) - #5 coil zipper tape cut to 11” (28 cm), 8” (20 cm) and 13” (33 cm) OR equivalent prepared zippers. You will be sewing through the zipper coil.
- 3 zipper sliders
- 1 Zipper tip
- 9” (23 cm) of #3 zipper tape with slider or 1 - 7” (18 cm) #3 zipper for inside zippered pocket
- 3 - 1” (2.5 cm) D-rings OR 1 - 1” D-ring and 2 - 1-1/4” (3.2 cm) O-rings. Selection guidance in the pattern.
- 1 - 1” (2.5 cm) swivel hook - must fit through the D-rings. If not, use 2 larger diameter O-rings as above
- 3 or more rivets
- Double-sided tape
- Marking chalk or erasable pen. Check to ensure marks will erase from your fabric choice.
- Optional: Edge coat or Mod Podge for edges of the accent strips
UJAMAA GRANDMAS, a Calgary-based group of volunteers, is part of the Grandmothers to Grandmothers (G to G) Campaign of the Stephen Lewis Foundation (SLF). SLF works to address the consequences of the HIV/AIDS pandemic upon families and communities in sub-Saharan Africa. The G to G Campaign supports the voices and expertise of grandmothers in Africa, whose leadership is critical in reclaiming hope and rebuilding resilience across their communities. As part of Grandmothers to Grandmothers, UJAMAA GRANDMAS is committed to the Campaign’s three goals:
- to raise awareness
- to build solidarity and
- to mobilize funds for community-based organizations that support African grandmothers and the children in their care.
Since 2004, as a result of a variety of fundraising activities, both handcrafts-related and otherwise, over $1,500,000 has been sent in support of the Campaign. To learn more about UJAMAA GRANDMAS and the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign, visit www.ujamaagrandmas.com.
UJAMAA BAGETTES is a small sub-set of UJAMAA GRANDMAS, raising funds through the sale of pdf patterns and finished products. A very small portion of the proceeds from the sale of patterns is used to offset some of the costs of pattern testing and bag production. The remainder is sent to the Foundation to support our African sisters. BAGETTES’ finished bags are sold at the UJAMAA GRANDMAS annual BAGS, BABIES & BEYOND in Calgary, Alberta. If you have a technical question about this pattern, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Emmaline Bags sells BAGETTES patterns online at emmalinebags.com. All profits from these pattern sales go directly to the Grandmothers Campaign.
It is our privilege to work together to enable us to help these very courageous women and at the same time to express ourselves through our creativity.
This pattern is for personal and limited commercial use for the original purchaser only. You may sell items made from this pattern in limited quantities. Please do not make copies of this pattern. We would love it if you credit “UJAMAA BAGETTES” in your item descriptions when selling or listing of finished items. It would also be nice if you referenced our website - www.ujamaagrandmas.com. Thanks for your support in our efforts to raise funds for the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign.
Bag Lock and Snap Instructions:
- Magnetic Snaps (see the video here)
- Turn Locks and Flip Locks
- Press Locks (Mama, Papa, and Baby Lock)
- Large Bar Locks
- Tongue Locks (Thumb Catch, Press Lock)
- Half Moon Magnetic Snaps
Bag Label Insertion Instructions:
- Attach a Metal Bag Label (See Video Tutorial Here)
- Attach our "Script" Style Metal Bag Label (See the video here)
Miscellaneous Bag Bling Instructions:
- Add Zipper Sliders/Pulls to Zippers-by-the-Yard
- Make a Hanging Tassel
- "Edge Connector" Strap Anchors
- "Edgwena" Strap Anchors
- "Long John" Strap Anchors
- "Diamond" Strap Anchors
- "Top Edges" Strap Anchors
- Bridge Connectors/Bridge Anchors
- Metal Edge Trim
- Attach Zipper Ends/Cord Ends
- Metal Oval Handles
- Strap Ends - Pointed & Rectangular
- Strap Keepers
- Screw Together Grommets
- How to Use Giardini Edge Paint
- How to Use a Rivet Hand Press
- How to Set Double-Cap Rivets using Hand Tools
- How to Use Our Emmaline EB-FUSE Woven Interfacing
Emmaline Pattern Sew-Alongs/Video Tutorials With Janelle:
- Glacier Base Bags Part 1 Sew-Along
- Glacier Base Bags Part 2 Sew-Along
- Glacier Crossbody Bag Part 1 Sew-Along
- Glacier Crossbody Bag Part 2 Sew-Along
- Aspen Crossbody Bag Part 1 Sew-Along
- Aspen Crossbody Bag Part 2 Sew-Along
- Mountain Saddle Bag Sew-Along
- Laney-Jane Bag Sew-Along
Get more Bag Hardware tutorials & Sewing Tutorials HERE.
All payments are completed by PAYPAL, a secure payment method, or Credit Card. We do not receive or store any payment information. The checkout will be in Canadian dollars and will be converted to your own currency after payment.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations. If you are in UK & European countries, you may need to pay VAT or other taxes that are not included in our prices. All sales are "Delivered At Place (DAP)". Tax is paid by the receiver upon import into your country.
USA has implemented an 25% Import Tax on all metal products from China, which can include our bag making hardware. Please check your import tax. This is a new law and applies to orders over $800. (Since US customers have their order total converted to US dollars, which is about 30% less than the Canadian total, the 25% tax is usually inconsequential. Our customers love our products!)
For Bag Supplies & Preprinted Patterns:
- All items will be shipped 1-2 business days after your order is placed. We do not promise same day shipping, although we try to make it happen! Items are shipped Monday through Friday.
- Sometimes delivery can be somewhat faster, or sometimes a little slower, so please allow up to 15 business days for delivery. If your package hasn't arrived within the time you were quoted at checkout, and your tracking does not show a delay notice, please CONTACT US so we can review your order details. We can't be responsible for the errors or delays of others in delivering your package, but we will do what I can to locate the package for you.
- We can NOT be responsible for lost or stolen packages. We cannot track or replace any UNTRACKED packages. Oversize letters in Canada are not tracked, traceable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations.
Shipping rates vary from country to country. We use live shipping rates provided by our integration with Canada Post, UPS & DHL. These use the weight of your order and your location, based on the address you provide, to give you shipping rates. The best way to find out what shipping is going to be, is to add the items to your cart, add your address at checkout, and then you will be able see shipping rates before you pay!
NOTE: We don't offer next day delivery. If you are quoted "2-3 business days" when you choose a service rate, that does not include the day it is shipped, nor does it include weekends or holidays. This does not include our time needed for order processing or fulfillment.
For PDF Sewing Patterns: A download link is provided at the top of the "Thank You" page after payment. If you are not able to download because you are at work or on another device, no worries, you will also receive an email with a link back to this page to download your pattern instantly.
For all other goods:
For PDF Sewing Patterns: Due to the nature of the product, there are no refunds for PDF sewing patterns.
Physical Products: It's important to us that you are happy with your purchase, but if for any reason you are not satisfied with our products simply CONTACT US within 5 days of receiving your package. Items must be then returned within 30 days of receipt for full refund (minus the delivery charge). We are a small company and simply cannot pay for shipping for you to return you product if you have decided you don't want it. Please make sure you double check measurements and read product details before purchasing. To qualify for a refund the goods MUST be unused, and in resaleable condition, once inspected by us we’ll refund the amount to paypal within 14 days. Shipping amounts will not be refunded.Non-returnable items:
Downloadable software products
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.
There are certain situations where only partial refunds are granted (if applicable):
Any item not in its original condition, is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error, or any item that is returned more than 30 days after delivery.
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund. You should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.
Refunds (if applicable)
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.
Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again.
Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted.
Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted.
If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please CONTACT US
Damage/Faulty items: If you think you have received an item that is damaged or faulty, CONTACT US and provide all of the details and we will do our best to help you as soon as possible.