Paper Pattern - The Luxie-Lunch Bag
** This is the PRINTED PAPER version of the sewing pattern, and it will be shipped to you!
Carry your lunch, make-up, overnight items, or the entire contents of your handbag in luxury. This is a versatile project that features a wire frame that helps hold the top open wide for easy access. Is it a handbag or a lunch bag? You decide!
Customize the zipped bag to suit your needs by choosing from 2 handle styles, and adding the optional outside zipper pocket.
For a lunch bag, I recommend pre-washing your fabrics and using cotton for the lining so you can wash and reuse the bag as often as you need to. The frames are removable for washing! The foil backed thermal fleece/batting will help keep your food chilled. If you would rather have a wipe-clean lining in a lunch bag, you could substitute the cotton lining that I have recommended with laminated cotton, PUL, diaper liner, or nylon jacketing and use food safe containers. You could also substitute a wipe clean thermal foil-backed batting such as Insul-BRIGHT for your lining. Get the Insul-Bright!
This pattern requires: 1 Set (Pair) Internal Wire Frame, Style B (10” x 3 1/2”)
This pattern is suitable for an advanced beginner to intermediate sewer. Pattern instructions are provided in both imperial and metric measurements and are geared towards an intermediate sewer. Measurements are given to cut pattern pieces with a rotary cutter, ruler and mat.
FOLLOW THE SEW ALONG!! - Cyndi Farfsing, from The Nosy Pepper, has hosted a series of tutorials to help you put this bag together, go to the Sew Along posts HERE.
MATERIALS: Yardages are approximate.
Fabric, Interfacing & Zippers:
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m - Exterior fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m - Exterior Accent fabric (quilting cotton, light canvas/duck, home décor cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m - Lining fabric (quilting cotton or waterproof fabric such as PUL or laminated cotton)
- 1/2 yd./0.50 m - Thermal Batting/fleece such as Insul-Brighttm, Insul-fleecetm, Insul-Shinetm
- 3/4 yd./0.75 m - Interfacing - light-medium weight fusible interfacing such as Pellon Shapeflex SF101
- 10” x 21 1/2” - Foam Stabilizer - By Annie’s Soft & Stabletm, automotive headliner, Bosal in-R-Formtm, Pellon Flex-foamtm (25 cm x 54 cm)
- 1 1/4 yd./1.25 m - Piping Cord or Premade Piping - 5/32”” (4 mm) or larger if preferred
- (1) 22” (56 cm) - Zipper for Exterior Top Opening (#4.5 or #5 nylon bag zipper, 1 1/4” wide, non-separating) - You can use a longer zipper.
- (1) 9” (23 cm) - Zipper for Exterior Zipper Pocket (#3 nylon all purpose zipper, 1” wide, non-separating)
- 1 Set (Pair) - Internal Wire Frame, Rectangle shaped Style B (10” x 3 1/2”)
Bag Lock and Snap Instructions:
Click BLUE links for a written tutorial or Click RED links for a video tutorial
- Magnetic Snaps (see the video here)
- Turn Locks and Flip Locks
- Press Locks (Mama, Papa, and Baby Lock)
- Large Bar Locks
- Tongue Locks (Thumb Catch, Press Lock)
- Half Moon Magnetic Snaps
Bag Label Insertion Instructions:
Miscellaneous Bag Bling Instructions:
- Add Zipper Sliders/Pulls to Zippers-by-the-Yard
- Make a Hanging Tassel
- "Edge Connector" Strap Anchors
- "Edgwena" Strap Anchors
- "Long John" Strap Anchors
- "Diamond" Strap Anchors
- "Top Edges" Strap Anchors
- Bridge Connectors/Bridge Anchors
- Metal Edge Trim
- Attach Zipper Ends/Cord Ends
- Metal Oval Handles
- Strap Ends - Pointed & Rectangular
- Strap Keepers
- Screw Together Grommets
Get more Bag Hardware tutorials & Sewing Tutorials HERE.
SHIPPING DELAYS: There are significant delays in shipping across Canada and to USA/International. Delivery delays are worse to Eastern States of USA, and letters to Ontario. The backlog after Easter in USA is affecting our orders shipped end of March to April 15th.
Service alert on Canada Post:
Mail and Parcels destined to all regions of the U.S.A. continue to be delivered. Changes to USPS operations and delivery processes to protect employees and the public from the spread of COVID-19 may impact delivery times.
USPS® Coronavirus Updates: Expected Delivery Changes
USPS products and packages may require more time to be delivered due to limited transportation availability as a result of the ongoing COVID-19 impacts.
All payments are completed by PAYPAL, a secure payment method, or Credit Card. We do not receive or store any payment information. You can choose to pay in your currency using the currency picker, but if you miss doing that or we don't offer your currency, not a worry, the checkout will be in Canadian dollars and will be converted to your own currency after payment.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations. f you are in European countries, you may need to pay VAT or other taxes that are not included in our prices.
USA has implemented an 25% Import Tax on all metal products from China, which can include our bag making hardware. Please check your import tax. This is a new law and we are not sure if your order will be assessed. (Since US customers have their order total converted to US dollars, which is about 30% less than the Canadian total, the 25% tax is usually inconsequential. Our customers love our products!)
For Bag Supplies & Preprinted Patterns:
- All items will be shipped 1-2 business days after your order is placed. We do not promise same day shipping, although we try to make it happen! Items are shipped Monday through Friday.
- Sometimes delivery can be somewhat faster, or sometimes a little slower, so please allow up to 15 business days for delivery. If your package hasn't arrived within 15 business days, please email me so I can review your order details. Unfortunately, I can't be responsible for the errors or delays of others in delivering your package but I will do what I can to locate the package for you.
- We can NOT be responsible for lost or stolen packages. We cannot track or replace any UNTRACKED packages. Oversize letters in Canada and Small Packet Air - NOT TRACKED (8-10 business days) to USA, are not tracked, traceable or replaceable if lost or stolen.
- Sometimes there are duties, taxes or fees due depending on what country you live in. You will have to check your customs regulations.
Shipping rates vary from country to country. We use live shipping rates provided by our integration with Canada Post, UPS & DHL. These use the weight of your order and your location, based on the address you provide, to give you shipping rates. The best way to find out what shipping is going to be, is to add the items to your cart, add your address at checkout, and then you will be able see shipping rates before you pay!
For PDF Sewing Patterns: A download link is provided at the top of the "Thank You" page after payment. If you are not able to download because you are at work or on another device, no worries, you will also receive an email with a link back to this page to download your pattern instantly.
For Bag Supplies & Preprinted Patterns:
For PDF Sewing Patterns: Due to the nature of the product, there are no refunds for PDF sewing patterns.
Physical Products: It's important to us that you are happy with your purchase, but if for any reason you are not satisfied with our products simply email me within 5 days of receiving your package. Items must be then returned within 30 days of receipt for full refund (minus the delivery charge). We are a small company and simply cannot pay for shipping for you to return you product if you have decided you don't want it. Please make sure you double check measurements and read product details before purchasing. To qualify for a refund the goods MUST be unused, and in resaleable condition, once inspected by us we’ll refund the amount to paypal within 14 days. Shipping amounts will not be refunded
Downloadable software products
To complete your return, we require a receipt or proof of purchase.
There are certain situations where only partial refunds are granted (if applicable):
Any item not in its original condition, is damaged or missing parts for reasons not due to our error
Any item that is returned more than 30 days after delivery
Refunds (if applicable)
Once your return is received and inspected, we will send you an email to notify you that we have received your returned item. We will also notify you of the approval or rejection of your refund.
If you are approved, then your refund will be processed, and a credit will automatically be applied to your credit card or original method of payment, within a certain amount of days.
Late or missing refunds (if applicable)
If you haven’t received a refund yet, first check your bank account again.
Then contact your credit card company, it may take some time before your refund is officially posted.
Next contact your bank. There is often some processing time before a refund is posted.
If you’ve done all of this and you still have not received your refund yet, please contact us at email@example.com.
Exchanges (if applicable)
We only replace items if they are defective or damaged. If you need to exchange it for the same item, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and send your item to:
You will be responsible for paying for your own shipping costs for returning your item. Shipping costs are non-refundable. If you receive a refund, the cost of return shipping will be deducted from your refund.
Depending on where you live, the time it may take for your exchanged product to reach you, may vary.
You should consider using a trackable shipping service or purchasing shipping insurance. We don’t guarantee that we will receive your returned item.